Helping others find positive growth, building resilience, develop adaptive coping and effective problem solving skills.
Valentin Clinic S.C.
1220 Dewey Ave.
Wauwatosa, WI. 53213
Map and directions
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
What is DBT?
- It is an approach based on an under-standing that some individuals react to situations with ineffective ways to cope with painful emotions.
- When they react there is a tendency towards high emotional sensitivity - meaning reacting to small things in big ways.
- The reactivity is bigger or more intense than that of other people.
- They often find it takes them longer to quiet the emotions than others.
- DBT is an effective and practical way to help because it teaches ways to recognize and deal more effectively
Skill Development Areas
- Mindfulness: Teaches how to be present in the here and now, paying attention in a particular way. We know we need to recognize what is happening before, being able to change it.
- Distress Tolerance: Is learning how to get through difficult situations without falling into unhealthy or unhelpful patterns of thinking, feeling or behaving.
- Interpersonal Effectiveness: Is learning how to be more effective in relationships while taking care of yourself.
- Emotion Regulation: Here you learn to understand what emotions are all about while decreasing sensitivity and intensity when needed.